If you don’t have the time to complete an MBA degree but still want to understand the key concepts, then this course is for you. This course is designed for managers, professionals, and business owners who want to develop a broad perspective to deal more effectively in today’s rapidly changing and increasingly complex business environment. Learn the key elements and components of a traditional MBA while looking strategically at an organization from a holistic perspective to improve business planning and decision-making, You will also learn to recognize how different business processes drive results as well as identify the effective use of key performance indicators to motivate, measure, evaluate, and improve results.
CPAs, corporate finance teams, business leaders and other financial professionals.
- Recognize the difference between IQ and EQ
- Identify responsibilities of those charged with governance
- Describe Duty of Care and Duty of Loyalty
- Recognize how to minimize liability related to governance
- Identify factors that impact decisions
- Emotional Intelligence – benefits of emotional intelligence (EI); steps to increase your emotional intelligence; emotional intelligence to decision making; active listening versus traditional listening
- Essence of Entrepreneurship – why current business plans that focus primarily on the numbers is the wrong approach; components of the non-traditional business plan: people, opportunity, context, risk and reward; the dark side of being an entrepreneur; lead generation strategies
- Good Governance – duty of care; duty of loyalty; increased risk factors; minimizing liability; ethical organization strategies
- Latest in Leadership – the principles of improvisation are respect, support, trust, listen, focus, adapt; Team building; Leadership attributes; Leadership styles
- Smarter Decision-Making – decision-making bias; decision- making styles; solving problems; brainstorming and brainswarming
- Teamwork & High-Performance Teams – illustrate the principles of improvisation and how they relate to building a high-performance team; demonstrate the positive effects of replacing “yes but” with “yes and”; experiment with the improvisation concept of “listening to understand (listen)” and “being present (focus)”
A basic understanding of financial statements.
Course materials are distributed electronically. To access the materials visit njcpa.org/MyEvents. Download to your laptop or tablet prior to the seminar, handouts are added as received.
Request a Reminder
Note: Online pre-registration will be closed 24 hours prior to this event.
Need a printable registration form? Click here
Registrations will be accepted at the door.
Peter A. Margaritis, CPA, CGMA, MAc
Business Learning Institute
Peter Margaritis, CPA, is a keynote speaker, communication strategist, and improv virtuoso. Peter is the author of two books, Improv Is No Joke: Using Improvisation to Create Positive Results in Leadership and Life and Taking the Numb Out of Numbers: Explaining and Presenting Financial Information with Confidence and Clarity.
Peter works with financial professionals to help adapt their mindset and believes that strong communication skills are the most effective way of delivering technical knowledge and building strong business relationships.
The underlying premise in everything Peter does is the power of applied improvisation. He focuses his strategies using two powerful words, YES AND along with the concept of listening to understand. This strategy promotes a better connection with customers and clients leading to higher profits and higher retention of employees.
Peter has delivered over 500 keynote speeches and workshops in 38 states in the U.S. and across Canada and the Caribbean. His clients range from Fortune 500 companies to family-owned businesses, national, regional & local public accounting firms, and national and state associations.
Peter earned is his Bachelor’s in Business Administration from the University of Kentucky, a Master’s Degree in Accountancy from Case Western Reserve University and he is a licensed, non-practicing, CPA in Ohio. He has worked for companies such as Price Waterhouse, Victoria Secret Catalogue (not as a model), two large banking institutions and has managed restaurants in his day. Don’t be surprised – he is Greek. He was also an assistant professor of accounting and taught in the MBA program at THE Ohio Dominican University in Columbus, OH.
Peter is also a blogger, writer, humorist and a podcaster. His podcast, Change Your Mindset can be found on his website, along with iTunes, Stitcher and Google Play. You can visit his website (petermargaritis.com) to watch his videos and read his promotional resources which include a variety of magazine articles, along with his weekly blog.