This course covers basic legal principles that every accountant should be familiar with to avoid common legal disputes and costly litigation. By analyzing business law issues from the standpoint and background of accountants and auditors, this course will help you develop an approach to client and practice issues with a sensitivity and appreciation for the legal ramifications that can occur.
All practitioners and controllers who want a better understanding of how the law can impact their practice and their clients.
- Identify the most common legal issues arising in the business context
- Understand the general legal rules applicable to business situations
- Appreciate the role that accountants can play in identifying and resolving legal problems
- Understand how the dispute resolution system works
- The various types of corporations
- Securities law basics
- Contract principles
- Partnerships and limited liability entities
- Worker classification
- Employee rights and the duties of employers
- Intellectual property
- Real property law
- Bankruptcy basics
- The court system and litigation process
- Alternative dispute resolution
Course materials are distributed electronically. To access the materials visit My Events
. Download to your laptop or tablet prior to the seminar, handouts are added as received.