Triennial New Jersey License Renewal

Control Load Error(s):
Unable to find video (#1210) in published Video Library.
The end of the current New Jersey triennial reporting period is December 31, 2017.

The process to renew your CPA license can be confusing, but proper preparation and the right information will make the process easier and less frustrating.


Total CPE Credits


Minimum Credits
Per Year

Note: The NJ State Board of Accountancy requires all licensees to retain their CPE records for five years from the date the course was taken. In anticipation of a periodic random audit, the New Jersey State Board of Accountancy is asking CPAs to retain their CPE records for an additional year. Records of CPE credits earned dating back to 2012 should be retained until December 31, 2017. The NJCPA CPE tracker maintains all credit letters from courses taken through the NJCPA.


  • Are there specific requirements regarding the composition of the 120 credit hours required to renew my license?

  • What are the requirements for taking the law and ethics course? Can I fulfill the ethics requirement through self-study?

  • Is there a grace period after the end of the triennial on Dec. 31, 2017?

  • Can a college professor or CPE instructor receive credit for teaching a CPE course?

  • Is there anything else I should know?

  • Is nano learning — 10-minute self-study videos that grant a fifth (0.2) of a credit — applicable for the 120 hours of CPE learning yet?

  • How are self-study credits applied?

  • Where can I find a list of approved CPE sponsors?

  • Does the board require CPAs to earn a minimum number of CPE credits annually?

  • What should I do if I don’t think I’ll have enough credits by Dec. 31, 2017?

  • How can I contact the N.J. State Board of Accountancy?

  • What is the NJCPA’s role in the renewal process?

  • What could happen if I renewed my license as active and don’t complete the required total number of credits by the end of the triennial (12/31/17)?

  • What if I plan to move or have moved or changed my address in the past three years?

  • What is the best way to renew my license?


Contact us at or 973-226-4494, or complete the form below.

( )
Spam Protection


Wondering if you should bother maintaining your CPA license? Here's a brief video on why you should: