The Multistate Tax Conference will give practitioners the tools they need to navigate the upcoming tax season. Look forward to important updates from the New Jersey Division of Taxation, States’ reactions to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, effects of the recent SD V. Wayfair ruling, and the tax implications of cryptocurrencies.
CPAs in all firms as well as sole practitioners and financial officers of businesses with multistate transactions.
This conference will provide you with timely updates, answers to your most pressing questions, and a chance to network with a panel of expert speakers discussing multistate hot topics.
Registration, Continental Breakfast, and Opening Remarks
Multistate Tax Update
Jeffrey A. Friedman, J.D., LL.M., – Eversheds Sutherland LLP
This session will provide attendees with an update on state and local tax developments and
- A legislative and regulatory update
- Recent judiciary developments
- Key state and local tax trends, including state reactions to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
New York State and New York City Update
Debra Silverman Herman, Esq. – Hodgson Russ LLP.
This session will focus on:
- New cases and developments
- A walkthrough handling of the Federal Job Act
- Specifics on how New York State and New York City treat items of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
New Jersey Government Update
John J. Ficara, CPA – New Jersey Division of Taxation
James J. Fruscione – New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services
This session will provide updates from the New Jersey Division of Taxation, specifically
recent administrative and legislative developments, including how the State is reacting to
the recent federal tax reform provisions. Then, hear from the Division of Revenue and
Enterprise Services about updates to their Electronic Services Program.
11:50 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
New Jersey Tax Update
James B. Evans Jr., CPA, J.D., LL.M. – Kulzer & DiPadova, P.A.
This session will review the major legislative, judicial and administrative developments
of 2018 affecting New Jersey taxpayers and the outlook for 2019 state tax changes.
Multistate Sales Tax Compliance and Voluntary Disclosure Post-Wayfair
James Bartek, CPA and Andrew Eskola J.D. – KPMG LLP.
Richard Cram, J.D. – Multistate Tax Commission National Nexus Program
- Cover the liability risks for non-compliance with state income/franchise and sales/use tax laws for multistate businesses
- Provide brief background on the Multistate Tax Commission and its programs
- Explain the MTC Nexus Program, including the Multistate Voluntary Disclosure Program, including the benefits it offers to multistate businesses
- Describe the steps in the MTC voluntary disclosure process
Select Topics in State Taxation including Cryptocurrency
Robert J. Alter, J.D., LL.M. – McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter LLP.
This session will highlight various State Taxation issues and focus on the recently
signed 2018 Tax Amnesty Program as well as crypto currency. The Tax Amnesty Program,
which was signed on July 1st offers relief to many taxpayers. Then, discuss the effect
that Crypto Currencies are having on tax evasion and hear what enforcement
initiatives the IRS is developing to combat this issue.