Want to get your CPE in short 10-minute segments on your iPad or tablet? These quick video presentations will introduce you activity-based costing in ten quick lessons.
- Recognize what activity-based costing is and how it differs from traditional cost accounting.
- Identify how to segregate costs by activity in the general ledger system.
- Recognize economic reality for property, plant and equipment value consumption.
- Identify what cost drivers are and why understanding them is important to cost analysis.
- Recognize how to assign occupancy costs objectively in a cost analysis.
- Identify how to assign information technology costs objectively to activities and products.
- Identify how to assign the cost of money objectively in a cost analysis.
- Recognize what a cost flow diagram is and how cost accountants use it.
- Recognize techniques that will streamline cost calculations.
- Recognize excess capacity in cost analysis.
- Understand how it is different from traditional cost accounting and how ABC gets far better accuracy.
- Know how a well-organized general ledger will help with cost accounting, budgeting and financial control.
- GAAP accounting for property, plant and equipment rarely reflects economic reality. Know how to correct these deficiencies and get your cost information right.
- Understand how to identify cost drivers and how to avoid choosing the wrong one.
- Understand how to account for this major cost category properly.
- Know how to handle these costs properly to prevent distorting your organization’s cost model.
- Learn the proper way to account for the cost of money.
- Learn how to map these relationships and use them in your cost analysis.
- Understand why the math is easy once you know how to organize your work.
- Understand how to identify and account for excess capacity costs.