As uncomfortable as some conversations are, keeping your silence won’t resolve the issue and may in fact add to it. No matter which side of the table you find yourself at in a “hard to have” talk, you can learn to manage the conversation.
In the workshop, you’ll learn how to recognize when a conversation becomes critical, how to plan effectively for the conversation, and which communications strategies can help you create a win/win outcome.
All employees and managers
- High stakes conversations where the goal or outcome is paramount
- A Critical Conversation Worksheet to use as a tool
- Self-assessment of interpersonal approaches on a continuum from aggressive to silent
- The stories: mine and yours — are they the same?
- Contrast statements for ensuring a shared understanding
- Building confidence in conducting a Critical Conversation
- Recognize when a conversation becomes “critical”
- Plan effectively for the difficult conversation
- Identify steps to follow during the conversation
- Demonstrate communication skills to master those difficult conversations and result in win/win outcomes
- Prepare for having your critical conversation; build a script during the session using the 6-Step Model
- Prepare an Action Plan to have a difficult conversation